The Women’s Missionary Union is the Women Organization under the Baptist Women’s Union of Nigeria, Auxiliary to the Nigerian Baptist Convention. The organization has concern for the spiritual moral, mental physical development of married women, young women and children in our Churches. The Union’s desire is to encourage these groups to promote missions and its related activities at all levels and caring for people of different ages.
The Women’s Missionary Union is the most important women organization in all Baptist Churches as it is one of the conditions for the recognition of a standard and fully fledged Baptist Church.
The aims of WMU are:-
- To stimulate private and public prayer
- To stimulate daily reading of God’s word (The Bible)
- To spread the gospel among people
- To encourage stewardship, personal service and giving to the needy and working in the Vine yard.
The WMU is saddled with the spiritual development of children and women in all Baptist Churches.
The WMU comprises four organizations:
1. Women’s missionary union (WMU) which comprises married women only.
2. Lydia Auxillary (For girls age 16 and above/until married)
3. Girls Auxillary (This comprises of two groups)
a. Junior age: 10-12
b. Intermediate age: 13-16
4. Sunbeam band ( This comprises of two groups)
a. Beginners class ages: 4-6
b. Primary class ages: 13-16
The WMU is the Overall head/Supervisor